Caring Consumer: A Cry for Consumer Conscience

Dedicated to educating consumers everywhere about animal testing
and how you can avoid buying products from companies that do.



Saturday, January 05, 2008

Tom's of Maine Acquired by Colgate

Distressing...

I just found out that Tom's of Maine was acquired by Colgate/Palmolive. According to Peta's website:

"in a written statement, Tom's of Maine founders Tom and Kate Chappell assured customers, "You will continue to be able to rely on our tried and true Natural Care products based on our model of stewardship and sustainability. We will continue to make products without artificial preservatives, sweeteners, or dyes and without animal testing or animal ingredients."

Hmmm....

Even Peta encourages purchasing these products that are cruelty free although the parent company still performs animal testing. I can see both the pros and the cons of this way of thinking. But do I want to give ANY of my hard earned dollars to a company that supports animal testing in any way shape or form? I think my beagle would ask me not to do so.