Caring Consumer: A Cry for Consumer Conscience

Dedicated to educating consumers everywhere about animal testing
and how you can avoid buying products from companies that do.



Saturday, January 05, 2008

GreenWorks Cleaning Products

The Good News: While doing the week's grocery shopping, I noticed Greenworks Toilet Bowl cleaner on the shelf at our local market. Their bottle states that they "believe that natural cleaning products should:
Work as well as traditional cleaners
Be made from plantand mineral based ingredients
Use biodegradable ingredients
Never be tested on animals"

Pretty exciting right? I thought so. Toilet bowl cleaner was one of the last single-use household cleaners I hadn't managed to find a cruelty-free replacement for.

The Bad News: Well, Greenworks is manufactured by Clorox - which raises some issues for me. I usually try to avoid spending my consumer dollar on any product made a company (or a branch of a parent company) that is not cruelty free 100% of the time. At the same time though I'd like to encourage the development of more animal-friendly products and if they have access to nation-wide distribution, all the better.

So...what to do?

I decided to buy it for the time being. Better a line of cleaners that have not been tested (even though their parent company does), rather than sticking with one that absolutely is. I'll keep looking for a replacement though.